Healthy Food Options
Expanding access to fruits, vegetables, and nutritious foods across the community
Eating right is easier with healthy food options close at hand. Living Healthy in Washington County works to make fresh, affordable, unprocessed foods, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains readily available to all residents. Good nutrition helps combat a wide variety of chronic conditions including obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. Healthy foods provide a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and other natural substances that can help protect against illness and disease, and generally contain fewer calories, less fat, and refined sugars.
- 81 percent of Minnesotans consume less than the recommended five daily servings of fruits and vegetables.*
- Americans spend nearly 50 percent of their food budget on restaurant food.*
- In 2010, over 14,000 Washington County residents were told by a doctor, nurse or other health professional that they have diabetes.*
- American Journal of Public Health, Briefs, May 2000
- Metro Adult Health Survey, Washington County, 2010
- Work with community leaders to support locally grown foods by expanding land available for community gardens and farmer’s markets.
- Add fresh produce to food shelves with grocery store vouchers.
Fare for All
Farmers' Markets in Washington County
Land Stewardship Project
Minnesota Food Association List of Locally Grown Businesses